Polish printing – the beginnings of printing and bookselling in Poland date back to the middle of the 15th century. The first (so far found) print on the territory of the Kingdom of Poland is the calendar for 1474 from the Kraków printing house of Kaspar Straube (probably in 1473).
Old Polish printing
Offset printing poland historical features
First printers in Poland. After Jan Gutenberg invented the mobile font, typographic art quickly spread across Europe. Poland was the 9th country to which German printers arrived, wandering in search of places where they could run their outbuildings. The first workshops operated for a short period of time, usually several years, and their production was not substantial. Kasper Straube, who came to Krakow from Bavaria, is considered to be the first printer in Poland. His printing house functioned between 1473 and 1477, and four prints were printed from his presses. offset printing Poland
Another printer, also working in Kraków, was Szwajpolt Fiol from Franconia. He had been printing Cyrillic liturgical books since 1491, but had to interrupt his work in the face of accusations of hereticism.
Only from archival sources are two more names of printers known in Kraków. These were Jan Pepelau and Jan Krüger. Between 1475 and 1482 Kasper Elyan operated in Wrocław. His outhouse published about 9 prints.
Offset printing poland impresses with its novelty
In 1498, four printed materials were created in Gdańsk in the printing house of Konrad Baumgarten, a wandering typographer from Württemberg. Baumgarten then operated in Olomouc (1500-1502) and Wroclaw (1503-1506), where it printed its mural. among others: The legend of St. Hedwig. In 1506, he settled in Frankfurt (Oder).
In 1492, Jakub Kraweyse published the life of St. Dorothy in Malbork, considered the oldest print in Prussia.
Between 1470 and 1478, the Printer of Pope Leo’s Sermons (Typographus Leonis I papae Sermones) was in operation and was not finally identified. Seven works left his printing house. Researchers suppose that he could have been associated with the outhouse of the Common Life Brothers operating in Chełmno [a necessary footnote].